Saturday, October 16, 2010

Half Way There...


So, I've hit the half-way mark in my Nazarite vow. This has been quite a defining exprerience for me. For the most part, I believe the theme for me has been trust. I have been learning more about what it means for me to trust God in the past few months than perhaps ever in my life. It has been most enlightening in terms of my finances. I have had some great moments of conviction and direction in how I handle my money and how I trust God to provide for me.f

I've started a new job in the last couple weeks working with developmentally disabled people in a day program. This has been an interesting transition on many levels. It is the first time I have taken on a near full time position in a field other than vocational ministry in about 15 years. I've done some short-term things, but nothing like a second career or long-term position. It is also an interesting job in terms of the characters involved. Ever day I become more and more convinced that I have uncovered one of the places Jesus would be hanging out if he were here today. We all love the Xmen--mutants with extraordinary powers who can do amazing things and have special abilities. There are real people out there who have mutated chromosomes and are born under extraordinary circumstances, but most of us would rather pretend they don't exist because they make us nervous with their loud noises and unpredictable behavior. I am being stretched and challenged in some profound ways with this new job.

As far as trust goes, I am having to trust God in this new job. I am trusting him to help me with transition which is always emotionally exhausting. I am trusting him to provide for our finances in a job that pays less than the kid gets who collects shopping carts at the grocery store. I am trusting him to care for my family as our schedule is stretched a little thin--I am already extremely grateful for good friends and grandparents on this one!

I am enjoying this process. I am ready to shave off my hair, but not very interested in giving up being set apart to God as a Nazarite.

No comments:

Post a Comment