Monday, September 13, 2010

How's it goin'?


Enough people around me know about the vow that I get this question a lot. I like it because most people are genuinely interested. It has been a hard question to anser, however. One of the main reasons I chose to make this vow was that I wanted it to be an act of worship--nothing to do with getting something out of God, I wanted to do something FOR God. The book of Numbers put it, "set yourself apart unto the LORD".

Having the purpose of doing something for God as opposed to getting something from God makes it very hard to assess how the vow is going. I am liking the vow. Things have become more simplified for me from how I dress to how I spend/don't spend money. I like the daily reminder in the mirror that I have chosen to pursue God more than my perception of what people want from me. My diologue with God continues to grow as I am constantly aware of what my priorities are. I still struggle with sin and my own selfishness--as usual. Other than that, I can't really tell how it's going--I suppose you'd have to ask God what he thinks about that.

I am guessing that much of what I take away from taking this journey will become apparent to me after all is said and done. I think this is how it should be. For the next four months, my focus is to continue to try and bring glory to God through this vow--I don't really want anything from him.

3 comments:

  1. Just a former modern day Nazarite saying hello. It took me on the ride of my life. I took the traditional vow of no booze, no haircuts, no dead people. Going back under in about two weeks and can't wait. Just keep your heart and mind open and seek God. Remember that you essentially made yourself God's slave so give him full control so he can work through you.

    As for the nose hair: Jesus died for our sins so that we wouldn't have to live a life of legalism. This vow is part of the Old Testament legalism and Jesus wasn't there yet. I had to drink myself to sleep once, went to the wake of a good man, and trimmed my mustache so I could eat without using a tree's worth of napkins. If you mess up a little it is ok as long as you realize that by taking the vow you turned these ordinary actions into sins and that you are forgiven. It is good to try hard to fulfill your vow, but it is more important to have the mindset of separating yourself to God than making sure you are 100% with the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words--and solidarity! I would be extremely interested in more of your Nazarite story. I am going to have to really mull over some of what you said! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing I am enjoying the updates..on a personal note when I relate your story I love the "What is he crazy?" looks...love rocking peoples boxes..

    ReplyDelete