Thursday, August 26, 2010

Awkward Nazarite

Last night I had an awkward moment in my Nazariteness. It has been interesting to figure out how to keep three changes of clothes clean (especially while helping my sister paint her new Habitat for Humanity house). Yesterday, I threw my clothes in the washing machine leaving myself one change of clothes to wear that evening. When I put on my shirt, noticed that I had apparently spilled ice cream on the front of it! The washing machine was still going--no time to dry things before I left for the kids' open house and a meeting with my improv group. In the end, I had to put on my sweatshirt. Besides the fact that it was 80 degrees outside, the general concensus among my improv buddies was that the shirtless zippered hoodie outfit made me look like an extra from the Big Lebowski.

Oh well, it was bound to happen!

3 comments:

  1. Pastor. Shalom. I have taken the Nazarite vow as well, and I have posted a few questions for you elsewhere. Here, I wonder is there something in the scripture about three changes of clothing that I haven't read? Or is this part of your personal vow? I will be curious to know and hope you are able to respond.
    Matthew Cooley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. There is nothing about clothing. My goal on this vow was to use the Nazarite context to create a vow that I could use to set myself apart for God for a period of time. I used the vow as a template of sorts. In that sense (as so many people have gone to great lengths to point out), my vow was in no way a pure Nazarite vow. The thing that drew me in about the NV was that it was one vow in the OT that people could make that involved them making decisions about how it was carried out--in terms of how long they did it. There also seemed to be different models of Nazarites in the scriptures that looked different i.e. Sampson and John. In my opinion, the point is to set yourself apart from the things you cling to in the world to be fully devoted to God for a period of time. The details are secondary as we are no longer held to the law because of Christ and, if we were, there would technically be no temple to go to to finish the vow, so you would be locked in until you die!

      As soon as this vow becomes another exercise in self-flagellation or legalism, it loses its value and purpose. My daughter loves to bake me cupcakes. Sometimes they don't turn out very well and I still eat the cupcake and tell her how proud I am that she would bake something for me to eat and enjoy. You can try this vow and fail on every level and our God of unfailing love will be so pleased that you set yourself apart for him and for his pleasure. Matthew, I encourage you to move forward with this vow in the best way you can figure it out. Challenge yourself, follow through, BUT never lose sight that you are simply a child looking to his Father. His adoration of you personally cannot be altered--certainly not by your efforts to seek him out. Shalom!

      Delete
  2. Pastor. Shalom. I have taken the Nazarite vow as well, and I have posted a few questions for you elsewhere. Here, I wonder is there something in the scripture about three changes of clothing that I haven't read? Or is this part of your personal vow? I will be curious to know and hope you are able to respond.
    Matthew Cooley

    ReplyDelete