Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Vacationing Nazarite

I just got back from my family vacation to California. It was good to see some old friends and show the kids the ocean--where they come from. Oscar was a natural in the waves...makes me wonder if he's gonna hate me for moving to CO someday and ditch us for the beach!

I had plenty of opportunities to try and explain my vow to my friends during this trip. I got quite a bit of positive feedback from people. My friend, Ginger in particular told me how she had decided to observe Lent this year for the same reasons--as a willful act of worship. I think there is going to be a lot of connection with the idea of this vow for people as time goes on. I really hope to be able to be an advocate for this type of worship. I can see how it would appeal to many Christ followers who are looking for an oppotunity to worship God without expecting anything from him but to be honored by us.

I've also discovered that it is really difficult to describe the Nazarite vow to people who are not familiar with the Bible or who are not worshippers of God. I've basically skirted the issue with most of my friends because it is so hard to explain--even though everyone is noticing the facial hair. I have a couple friends, however, who I would like to try and explain it to and see how they respond. I'm still not sure how to do this, since it takes quite a conversation to explain. I'd like to come up with a way to describe what I'm doing without using churchy buzz words or without taking 45 minutes!

The day to day element of this vow is interesting. I never thought I was very inhibited in prayer before, but I am noticing that I feel more open to communication with God because of the vow. I know nothing has changed in God's receptivity to me, but by following through with the vow the line of communication seems less inhibited, if that make sense. Previously, in prayer, I think I've spent a lot of time trying to justify my requests to God--either my worthiness in asking or the worthiness of the request. I find myself saying things now like, "you know my heart, you know where I'm coming from, so you already know why I'm asking you to bless Jan H and her baby..." I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself adequately here, so hopefully someone will offer some insight/feedback.

Bottom line, I am feeling more connected to God from my end of the relationship. I am enjoying the daily reminders that, for the next six months, my priority is worship before anything. Obviously, this is meant to be a pattern for life, but that can so often seem like a nebulous and unreachable concept. This is good.

2 comments:

  1. Nice insight...struggling to describe a 3500 year old Jewish vow..whats so hard about that?? LOL You and I have talked about the emerging church and its direction...maybe instead of trying to be relevant we should just be real and how people deal with it is their responsibility. It's not about us anyway, how cool we are or how hip the message is...Only Jesus is relevant anyway..He is the truth and were just repeating what He said anyway!!! Glad you had a good vacation I missed you..lets get together when you get a chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Audie...I agree about relevance. I think there are a million ways to be sensitive and insightful in dealing with people without becoming slaves to styles and modes of ministry.

    ReplyDelete